Waynedale represented the dream of Abner Elzey. This unincorporated town of approximately 3,000 residents was situated about three miles southwest of Fort Wayne on State Roads 1 & 3, and was founded by Elzey on February 15, 1921.
On a cold December day in 1920, while standing on the southeast corner of the Lower Huntington Road and the present Old Trail Road, Elzey pointed to the southwest toward the Cunnison farmland and proclaimed it an ideal location for a community.
Naming the community was difficult. At first, Elzey had intended to name the community after his only daughter, Ilo, but this idea was dropped. And since those living in this area spoke of Fort Wayne as “Wayne,” he chose that as part of the name, using the name of his son Dale as the other.
> Read More Information About Us
> More Articles Written By Our Staff
Latest posts by The Waynedale News Staff (see all)
- A FINAL FAREWELL PLANNED FOR ELMHURST GRADS - October 13, 2017
- WAYNEDALE BAPTIST WELCOMES NEW PASTOR - October 13, 2017
- HISTORY CENTER ANNOUNCES MATHER LECTURE SERIES SPEAKERS - October 13, 2017